Thursday, March 30, 2006

Baseball

Why was baseball the only thing that was played on the playground? We had at least 4 baseball diamonds. Every boy brought a baseball glove to school. Baseball was played at every recess even if we only had 15 minutes to play. We had a basketball court but I don't remember it ever being used. I was never very good at baseball, but I remember one time Rusty Bovard played second base and I played third base. We caught a runner off guard and threw him out. Rusty bragged so much about how he threw the ball so hard to me and I caught it. I really appreciated his bragging about me that day. It made me feel like a real baseball player. The only time I really felt like one. Rusty would die the following year in a tractor accident, a needless tragedy. I never got a chance to thank him for making me feel like I was one of the guys, a member of the team. Rusty, wherever you are, thanks. You were a great player too, and on that day a great human being as well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donald Potter said...

Yeh, Chuck,
I sure do remember playing baseball. I could really hit the ball when I hit it, which wasn't very often!

I did play some basketball on the court. I remember that we would go to Rising Sun to practice and play. I tell people that was the first time I remember taking a shower. We bathed in a tin tub at home! You remember the well house out by the basketball court. Uncle Albert told us that a guy witched that well with a rod. I remember doubting his story, but he told it like it was true.

2:23 PM

 
Blogger Chuck S said...

Yes, Don, I remember the well house and how Mr. Potter said that somebody had "witched" it. I suspect that you could probably dig a well anywhere and once you hit the water table you would get, well, water, or is that "well water"? At any rate the water was pure and good. We used to lap it up after playing hard during recess. But I still wonder why baseball was just about the only game there was. And I also wonder what the girls did when we were playing baseball. I think they were playing their 45's and listening to Elvis. I don't remember ever getting rock and roll. We had our FM radios and listened to WSAI FM for classical music and WCPO for folk music. WSAI AM played all the rock and roll and it was the only radio playing on the bus. My bus was driven by Lloyd McQuery. Remember our Algebra teacher, Mrs. Grace McCurry? She was so austere, cold and distant. I am tutoring a student in Algebra here now. I wonder what Mrs. McCurry would do?

7:55 PM

 
Blogger tracker said...

Chuck,

My grandfather Walter Potter was a skilled dowser, or well witcher. I watched him witch the well for our house down the road from Cass-Union where Carroll Potter lives now. It was formerly the Clay Bank School. My great grandfather Albert Corson had bought that when it closed (and they opened Cass-Union) and turned the house 90 degrees so it didn't look so much like a schoolhouse.

My grandpa cut a fresh Y shaped branch from the big old willow by the road and made a dowsing rod. Some people used a straight stick but he used the Y shaped stick. He would walk back and forth over an area and every time the stick would pull down magnetically he would drop a pebble. After he had covered the area several times systematically, there would be a line of pebbles that followed the course of the underground stream. That's where you would drill.

My grandfather taught me how to do it, and I used to show my students at the school where I taught how to. I never witched an actual well, but am satisfied I could do it today. The kids were amazed when the dowsing rod turned down, and every kid who tried it found it turned down at the exact same places every time. It's no big trick.

9:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home